Wednesday, December 13, 2006

With You ...

"Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

When you started drinking in the evening, I was with you.
When you went to the party, I was with you.
When you stopped drinking at 1:30am, I was with you.
When you started your drive home, I was with you.
When you ran that stop sign, I was with you.
When that cop saw you run the stop sign, I was with you.
When the cop pulled you over, I was with you.
When the cop smelled alcohol on your breath, I was with you.
When the cop asked you step out of the truck, I was with you.
When the cop asked you to perform the tests, I was with you.
When you passed the tests, I was with you.
When the cop couldn't make up his mind and called another cop, I was with you.
When the 2nd cop asked you to perform more tests, I was with you.
When you passed ... well ... MOST of those tests, I was with you.
When the cops had their 5 minute discussion to decide what to do, I was with you.
When the cops decided to arrest you, I was with you.
In the 2 and 1/2 hours that it took the cops to convince themselves that they "had to get this one", I WAS WITH YOU !!

As you called your brother to come and get your truck before it got impounded, I was with you.
As your brother hurried to beat the tow-truck to the scene, I was with you.
WHEN your brother beat the tow-truck to the scene, I was with you.
As you rode silently in the back of the squad car, I was with you.
As you pondered on whether or not to take the breathalizer, I was with you.
As you recalled advice from lawyer friends NOT to take the breathalizer, I was with you.
As you got booked at the station, I was with you.
As you jotted down the necessary phone numbers from your cell phone, I was with you.
As you called your boy at 5am Sunday morning and he answered the phone, I was with you.
As your boy communicated the situation to your brother, I was with you.
As you sat for hours and hours in that holding cell, I was with you.
As your boy waited by the phone for each of your calls, I was with you.
As your boy, your brother, and his wife worked out the plan, I was with you.

When your sister-in-law met a good friend several years ago, I was with you.
When that friend met a good lawyer years ago, I was with you.
When your sister-in-law called that friend asking for a good lawyer, I was with you.
When she called that lawyer's office, I was with you.
When that lawyer's representative drafted the documents to get you out, I was with you.
When you were one of the first to get out that morning, I was with you.

When you hurt your knee years ago playing basketball, I was with you.
When you had surgery on that knee, I was with you.
When years of basketball caused wear and tear on your feet, I was with you.
When you went to see a doctor about this pain in both feet, I was with you.
When the doctor prescribed treatment, I was with you.
When you unknowingly piled up this evidence as to why you were physically unable to properly perform the tests that the police asked you to perform, I was with you.

As you met face to face with the lawyer for the first time, I was with you.
As the lawyer asked you about past injuries, I was with you.
As you remembered that you had documented record of these foot injuries, I was with you.
As the lawyer mentally
began to build your defense, I was with you.
As you arrived in court, I was with you.

When you were one of the few able to afford a good lawyer, I was with you.
When your lawyer mentioned that the judge was a big Houston Astros fan, I was with you.
When the Astros made a big trade the day before, I was with you.
When you inadvertently heard the details of the trade the day before, I was with you.
When the judge did not hear the details of the trade the day before, I was with you.
When the judge asked you the details of the trade and you recalled, I was with you.
When this lead to you, the judge, and the lawyer having friendly chatter about baseball, I was with you.
When you were humanized in the eyes of those that would determine your fate, I was with you.

When you and your lawyer walked across the street for your license revocation hearing, I was with you.
When you and your lawyer arrived on time to see a group of cops waiting to testify, I was with you.
When you looked around the room and didn't see any of your cops, I was with you.
When you waited and waited and waited in the hearing room and still no sign of your cop, I was with you.
When the time came to hear your case and STILL no cop, I was with you.
When the state representative asked for the case to be rescheduled, I was with you.
When your lawyer provided sufficient evidence why the case should NOT be rescheduled, I was with you.
When the judge agreed with the evidence provided by your lawyer that there was not sufficient reason for the case to be rescheduled, I was with you.
When the judge motioned for the license revocation case to be dismissed, I was with you.

When your lawyer met the prosecuting attorney 20 years ago, I was with you.
When your lawyer and the prosecuting attorney remained friends over the years, I was with you.
When your lawyer presented the evidence to the prosecuting attorney, I was with you.
When the prosecuting attorney opened his mind to the evidence, I was with you.
When the prosecuting attorney opted to pursue a much lesser charge than the dreaded DWI, I was with you.

When the final terms of the resolution of your case are to be decided, THEN TOO I WILL BE WITH YOU !!


"Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
- Joshua 1:9

No comments: