Friday, November 17, 2006

My Cup Runneth Over ...

Today, I had to fill a cup !! It seems to me that most people take the miracle of conception and birth for granted. It's miraculously easy when you're not trying; ask any teenager who "experimentally" got pregnant while just having some fun. It's a whole different story when you are at a point in your life when you are ready to have children and you are ACTUALLY trying. Me and the Mrs. decided to give it the "good ole college try" after our years of "experimentation" wasn't planting the seed. It is at the point when you are sitting in the doctor's office and he/she is explaining in great detail the different steps that we have to go through to eliminate possible reasons for lack of conception, that you realize what a tremendous miracle it is that each one of us is in this world today. Millions of sperm embark on a journey through the female body but only 1 lucky guy makes it to the finish line and gets to live happily ever after with the egg produced by the female, IF she has produced an egg. The tremendous number of biological steps that have to fall in order crosses no one's mind when you meet that special someone or ,more simplistically, meet that someone with that special body and you are in the midst of enjoying the physical pleasure brought about laying in bed, or on couch, or on carpet, or on kitchen counter, ... with that person. In those situations when you are not trying and it is not on your mind, it just seems to happen whether you want it to or not. However, every minute detail of this process becomes abundantly clear when you have reached that point in your life when you must try.

So today, I had to fill a cup... As me and the Mrs. embark on this journey towards parenthood, the doctors not only have to check out all of her parts and biological processes, they have to make sure that ... ahem, ahem, ... all of my soldiers are marching and marching in an orderly upright fashion. So how do I prove this to the doctor you ask ? Well, let's say it involves a small gin & tonic-sized cup, a mouse, and Al Gore. Well he did invent the Internet didn't he ? Yep, I had about 30 minutes on a lunch break to go home and navigate to any website of my choice looking for images and video clips that could help me to "fill the cup". Considering I wasn't really in the mood, it took a while. The pressure was on, the clock was running out, I had 10 minutes to go and still ... EMPTY CUP. As it got down to 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes, .... I focused and concentrated and came through in the clutch like all great athletes do. I filled the cup and "my cup runneth over". Now we just ask for that the blessings of the Lord runneth over in our journey towards parenthood. One overflowing cup deserves another, right ?

No comments: